What’s the purpose of this policy?
Development Victoria (Development Victoria, we, our or us) is committed to the protection of your privacy. This policy tells you how we deal with your “Personal Information” – that is, any information or opinion (in any form) about you, whether true or not, from which you may be identified. It outlines the information we collect about you, how we collect, use and protect it, to whom we disclose it and how you can access and rectify it.
Please do not use our website unless you are happy with this policy. If you use it, you’ll be taken to accept the terms of this policy. We may also change this policy to reflect changes in our business or the law - so you should check it whenever you visit our site. When you use this site, you agree to any revised policy set out on it. If you wish to make any inquiries regarding this policy, you should contact our Privacy Officer on (03) 8317 3400.
What types of Personal Information do we collect?
We collect and store information you give us via forms and functionality on our site or in person, including:
- Your name, date of birth, gender, contact / identification details, photo and answers to security questions
- Your past and present employment role and details, in certain circumstances
- Your preferences and needs in relation to property transactions
- Your opinions about Development Victoria and its projects
- Payment information (like credit card number and expiry date) used in purchasing our products and services.
Web beacons (also known as web bugs, pixel tags or clear GIFs) are transparent graphic images on a web site or email. They are typically used by a third party to monitor the activity of a site. Information collected by web beacons may include the Internet Protocol address of the computer that retrieved the image or the time the web beacon was viewed and for how long.)
How do we collect your Personal Information?
We collect Personal Information directly from you when you provide it to us via our contact and registration forms, contests, surveys or other means, either in person or via this website or for the purposes of applying for employment with us. Where it is lawful and practicable, you can also deal with us anonymously.
We may also collect information about you from third parties – including builders and developers, regulatory authorities, local bodies (like councils), financial services providers and our other service providers (such as those involved in administration of our promotions, call centre operations, provision of marketing leads or community engagement / consultation activities).
How do we store your Personal Information?
We store your Personal Information in electronic and hard-copy form. We may combine it with other information about you – including information we receive from our service providers. To ensure (to the extent possible) your security where personal data is transmitted online, this website uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer) technology.
What do we use your information for – and what if you don’t provide it to us?
We use the information that we collect about you:
- To research the needs of our customers and potential customers;
- To process and respond to your enquiries and requests for information about our products, services and promotions – and to resolve any problem you may have with those products, services and promotions;
- To assist in the development of new projects and the ongoing development of communities;
- To run and improve our website and other operations – including staff training, system maintenance and testing and management of (and facilitation of supplies to us by) our third party suppliers;
- To facilitate your participation in applicable promotions and competitions in which you have expressed interest;
- In connection with our provision of Fibre To The Home (FTTH) technology as a carrier – see later in this policy;
- For our internal management and reporting purposes;
- To assess any application you make for employment with us (and Personal Information you provide to us for this purpose will only be used for this purpose); and
- Unless you’ve asked us not to – to contact you with other information about products, services and promotions which may be of interest to you, and conduct other marketing activities and research.
If your Personal Information is not provided, we may be unable to provide the service, product, promotion or information requested.
To whom do we disclose your information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Other persons in order to give effect to legally binding agreements between you and us or if such disclosures are permitted under Part 13 of the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth) - for example, if you have agreed to pay for a particular item, we may give your details to the provider so that they can bill you;
- Where we have obtained your consent, to builders included on the website.
Otherwise, we will not disclose your Personal Information, without your consent, to any other third party unless (i) necessary to prevent a serious threat to health and safety of an individual or the public, (ii) required by government, enforcement agencies, or regulatory authorities, or (iii) permitted or authorised by law. Provision of Personal Information to the parties identified in this section may involve some personal information being transferred to and held by parties outside of Australia who are not subject to the Privacy Laws (so that your information may not be protected by those laws). If that is the case, we will make sure that equivalent legal protections (enforceable by you) apply in the relevant country - or will otherwise bind those offshore parties contractually to comply with the Privacy Laws and take reasonable steps to ensure that they do so.
Our business as a FTTH provider
We will protect the confidentiality of information and documents that come into our knowledge or possession in connection with our business as a FTTH provider that relate to:
- The contents or substance of communications carried, or intended to be carried, on our FTTH network;
- The FTTH network supplied, or intended to be supplied, by us; and
- The affairs or personal particulars of another person.
How can you access/update information Development Victoria holds about you – or opt out of direct marketing?
By emailing your request to our Privacy Officer or phoning on (03) 8317 3400, you can:
- Opt out of receiving any direct marketing from us - and we’ll remove your name from our marketing lists, or
- Request access to, or correction of, Personal Information that we hold about you – and we’ll comply with your request within a reasonable time, unless an exception applies under the Privacy Laws – eg, if doing so would unreasonably impact the privacy of others, would provide access to information generated through a commercially sensitive decision-making process, would prejudice negotiations involving us, would pose a threat to individual or public health and safety, or would otherwise be unlawful. If such an exception applies, we’ll notify you of our reasons for withholding your information and advise how you can complain about that.
We may charge you reasonable costs of providing you with access to your Personal Information we hold – but will not charge you for making the request or to correct/update your Personal Information. If we no longer need to hold that information, we’ll remove it from our system and take reasonable steps to destroy all record of it.
Your right to register a privacy complaint
Further privacy information
For more information about privacy issues in Victoria / federally and protecting your privacy, visit the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner website and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Updated April 2017