Affordability, Sustainability, Environmental protection rejuvenation and enhancement
Project partnersCity of Whittlesea
Yarra Valley Water
Environment Protection Authority
Aurora Community Association
2 new supermarkets
1 new community centre
The first stage of the Aurora Northern Town Centre is complete and includes two major supermarkets, the Galada Community Centre, specialty retail shops, community and medical facilities and car parking.
Further expansion of the Aurora Northern Town Centre is planned to be delivered within the next five years, and will include greater retail and commercial amenity, to ensure that residents don’t need to travel far for their daily needs.
Planning and design of the final key major road connections (Edgars Road and Koukoura Drive) providing the vital links to O'Herns Road are currently underway providing residents with greater ease of access to and from home.
Aurora consists of expansive open spaces, landscaped parks and connective walking & cycling paths, to encourage and promote healthy lifestyles for its residents and visitors. Most parks and open spaces are within 600m of every house.
- ATUG (Australian Telecommunications Users Group) 2007 for Broadband Excellence
- UDIA Environmental Excellence Award 2007
- AILA (Australian Institute of Landscape Architects) 2012 for Conservation Management
- Banksia Award 2008 for Built Environment
- Property Council of Australia 2008 for Sustainable Development
Development Victoria prepared the master plan for Aurora, which involved extensive stakeholder engagement, with a strong focus on community development and securing the delivery of essential community infrastructure.
Aurora is Victoria’s first masterplanned 6-star energy efficient community of its scale, incorporating the following initiatives to maximise sustainability, and reduce greenhouse emissions:
- Water sensitive urban design using swales and rain gardens in streetscapes and public reserves
- Regeneration and enhancement of Edgars Creek waterway throughout the development
- Fibre to the Home (FTTH) infrastructure to approximately 1,500 homes, providing high speed internet services
- Third (purple) pipe infrastructure, delivering recycled water to all homes and public amenities
- Habitat conservation and enhancement of endangered and protected flora and fauna
- Solar power infrastructure to parklands
- Passive solar design to maximise natural resources and reduce energy consumption in homes
- Solar hot water systems to all homes
- 4 and 5-star heating, cooling and appliances, and AAA efficient water fixtures to homes
The Aurora project was instrumental in the development of an industry-wide Sustainable Community Rating tool, which was developed in partnership with the Urban Development Institute of Australia, the Property Council of Australia and the Municipal Association of Victoria.
LocationThe Aurora development is located near Epping, north-east of Melbourne. Edgars Road runs through the estate and provides a vital link to O'Herns Road and Hume Freeway.
Who to contact about this project
For more information, or to receive updates about this development please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Design Standards Stages 1C and 2B PDF, 2.7 mb
- Design Standards Stage 17 PDF, 3.5 mb
- Design Standards Stage 17B PDF, 4.7 mb
- Design Standards Stages 19 to 21 PDF, 2.9 mb
- Design Standards Stages 22 and 23 PDF, 2.9 mb
- Design Standards Stages 24 to 26 PDF, 4.4 mb
- Design Standards Stage 29 PDF, 1.7 mb
- Design Standards Stage B3 - Epping Release PDF, 3.4 mb
EPBC annual monitoring reports
- Biosis – Annual Monitoring Report – Golden Sun Moth – 2016/17 – DV PDF, 1.4 mb
- Biosis – Annual Monitoring Report – Golden Sun Moth – 2016/17 – LL PDF, 6.1 mb
- Biosis – Annual Monitoring Report – Matted Flax-lily – 2016/17 – DV PDF, 2.9 mb
- Biosis – Annual Monitoring Report – Matted Flax-lily – 2016/17 – LL PDF, 372.4 kb
- Biosis – Annual Monitoring Report – Golden Sun Moth – 2017/18 – LL PDF, 2.0 mb
- Biosis – Annual Monitoring Report – Golden Sun Moth – 2017/18 – DV PDF, 1.9 mb
- Biosis – Annual Monitoring Report – Matted Flax-lily – 2017/18 –DV PDF, 2.9 mb
- Biosis – Annual Monitoring Report – Matted Flax-lily – 2017/18 – LL PDF, 5.0 mb
- Biosis – Matted Flax-lily Photopoint Monitoring Report 2008-2017 PDF, 72.7 mb