- Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions – Precincts & Suburbs
- Creative Victoria
- Film Victoria
Docklands Studios is a state-of-the-art film and television production facility located in Docklands. It's the only facility of its kind in Victoria, and one of only three major film and production centres in Australia.
The facility is operated by Docklands Studios Melbourne (DSM), a private unlisted company owned by the Victorian State Government, and overseen by Creative Victoria.
The complex includes five purpose-built sound stages, production offices and art department support areas for set construction, prop and costume manufacture, stunt rehearsals and storage.
Facilities are used for the production of feature films, drama series and audience-based television programs as well as television commercials, music videos and corporate events.
In October 2019, the Premier for Victoria, the Honourable Daniel Andrews, announced the construction of a new $46 million sound stage at DSM.
Construction of the new, sixth sound stage at DSM is expected to commence in mid-2020 and be completed by late 2021. The five existing sound stages will remain operational during this time.
Docklands Studios is located at 476 Docklands Drive, Docklands, adjacent to the District Docklands and NewQuay West precincts, and Ron Barassi Senior Park.
The Studios have easy access to the Tullamarine, Westgate and Monash Freeways and is approximately 2km from Southern Cross Station. It's connected by several tram services in Melbourne’s free tram zone.
- State Government announcement to contribute $40 million towards meeting the infrastructure needs of Melbourne’s film and television industry
- Partnership established between the State Government and a private consortium to develop Victoria’s a new state-of-the-art studio complex in Docklands
- Construction of the studios complex commences
- Studios complex opens under the name Melbourne Central City Studios
- Operation of the studios complex assumed by the Victorian Government
- Melbourne Central City Studios is renamed Docklands Studios Melbourne
- The facility is operated by Docklands Studios Melbourne, a private unlisted company owned by the Victorian Government and overseen by Creative Victoria
- $10 million infrastructure upgrades are completed including the delivery of a new workshop and office facilities
- State Government announces the construction of a new circa $46 million super stage
- International production company Dick Cook Studios named as major studios tenant