1136-1138 Nepean Highway, Highett
To deliver a diverse community that includes spaces to enhance lifestyle and benefit the local community.
Between 17 August and 18 September 2020, we sought feedback on key themes to gather community insights that will help the project team refine a preferred Development Plan for the site.
Our visionOur vision is for Highett Gasworks to become home to a diverse community. Spaces will be intentionally designed to enhance lifestyle and benefit the local community as well as future residents of this iconic site.
We want to acknowledge the heritage of the site while bringing to life its residential potential. Since the closure of the Highett Gasworks, the 6.3-hectare site has been safely decontaminated and is ready for reuse. The site is mostly vacant, with a brick chimney being the only remaining part of the old gasworks.
6.3ha Project area
10% Affordable housing
Preparing a Development Plan
We are now preparing a Development Plan for the site.
The Development Plan will provide increased clarity about future uses and development that can be expected on the site. All future planning permits approved for the site will need to comply with the Development Plan. The Development Plan, however, does not determine specifics such as detailed architectural design or construction details.
Was this page helpful?
- Mid-2019: Site rezoned by the Department of Treasury and Finance (DTF). Read more here.
- August: Community Engagement (Phase 1) opens - testing key themes
- September: Community Engagement (Phase 1) closes
- November-December: Community Engagement (Phase 2) - Refinement of the preferred Development Plan.
- Early 2021: Community Engagement (Phase 3) - Public exhibition of the Development Plan and submission of the Development Plan
- 2023: Construction beings
Reporting back to the community on what we heard
- Thursday 3 December, 6.00pm-7.00pm
- Saturday 5 December, 10.00am-11.00am
Email or call the project team on (03) 9021 0601 with your questions and feedback.
Community Engagement update - May 2020Development Victoria is committed to and values community engagement on our projects. While our preference where possible is for face to face consultation, we are currently undertaking all engagement activities online. This is consistent with the Victorian Government’s public gathering restrictions in consideration of the safety and well-being of the community and our team. This applies across all Development Victoria projects until further notice.
- Community Engagement Report - Phase One PDF, 444.1 kb
- FAQ - December 2020 PDF, 183.8 kb
- Fact Sheet - November 2020 PDF, 288.1 kb
- Community Sessions FAQ Summary - November 2020 PDF, 178.6 kb
- Online Information Session Presentation - August 2020 PDF, 2.5 mb
- FAQ - August 2020 PDF, 90.0 kb
- Fact Sheet - August 2020 PDF, 582.8 kb