Progress to date
Junction Place is the largest urban renewal project in regional Australia.
Following site acquisition, remediation works and a two staged commercial procurement process, Development Victoria signed a Development Agreement with a local developer (Central Place) in March 2016, to deliver a $200 million mixed use precinct comprising residential, cinema/entertainment, commercial offices, hotel, retail, public open spaces and a European market hall.
The $200 million project will transform and activate the former railway site into a vibrant and integrated residential, community and commercial precinct in the heart of Wodonga CBD that will catalyse economic growth and development of the regional city, by increasing visitation, employment, business investment and community engagement opportunities.
The transformation of Junction Place is well underway.
Some highlights in recent years include:
- Remediation and refurbishment of the heritage buildings and opening of new retail tenancies – such as Miiss Amelie, BeanStation Café and Beer Café
- Delivery of public realm and pedestrian linkages such as the Junction Square and Promenade
- Delivery of public amenities at the eastern end of the Station Building
- Successful hosting of a number of community events, including food and wine festivals that have attracted more than 15,000 people to Junction Place over the past three years
- Late 2016 – Approval of the Station 73 Masterplan
- October 2017 – Council approval of Central Place’s planning application for 86 residential apartments, which is the first stage of the residential development at the $200 million urban renewal project.
- November 2017 – Commencement of early works (internal access road and car parks)
The Junction Place project has already contributed to the revitalisation of central Wodonga and the next stage will continue to bring new life into the heart of the city.
- A marketing suite to promote the ‘Station 73’ development will be opened in the coming months within the former Goods Shed at Junction Place.
- Construction of townhouse development will commence in late 2019.
- The remaining stages within ‘Station 73’ are still in the design phase, with further announcements expected in coming months.