The Altona Gate Primary School located at 430 Blackshaws Road was closed in 2012 and the land was declared surplus to requirement by the Department of Education and Training (DET).
The 2.4-hectare site was rezoned from Public Use (PUZ2) to Residential Growth Zone (RGZ1) to allow the land to be developed for residential purposes. The rezoning was recorded in the Victorian Government Gazette No. G 3 Thursday 19 January 2017.
Development Victoria took possession of the site in mid-2017, and proposes to redevelop the land as a residential development that includes a diverse mix of townhouses and open space.
The population of Hobsons Bay is growing and changing. According to Victoria in Future 2016 the population of Hobsons Bay is expected to rise from 94,434 in 2017 to 109,442 in 2031. The area will need a supply of new housing to meet the growing and diverse needs of its community.
In addition, housing diversity and affordability is an issue for many Victorians. To address affordability, the strategies this project proposes to implement are as follows:
- Approximately 10% of the total homes are proposed to be offered to a registered housing association to own and manage affordable housing targeted at key workers.
- The majority of homes will be sold to the private market below the median house price in the suburb.
About the project
Development Victoria is committed to delivery outcomes that respond to the local environment and are appropriate in terms of height and density. For this reason, we will deliver a relatively low rise, medium density development.
- Approximately 127 townhouses, two and three storeys in height, with two to four bedrooms, are proposed, including a design allowing three generations to live in one home.
- The homes emphasise high-quality design, materials and landscaping that will enhance the development and the wider area.
- The open space will provide pedestrian access through the site to surrounding community facilities.
- Off-street parking will be provided for each property in accordance with Hobsons Bay Council Planning Scheme in addition to visitor parking included throughout the project.
- The project will help address affordable housing by offering diverse and affordable housing options.
Accessible open space
Off-street car parking with safety a key focus
Multiple pedestrian aces points
** Webpage image is an artist's impression only and does not represent the final design.
In May 2017, we held a range of community engagement activities to inform the community about the proposed development and to ensure all potential risks to the project are understood and addressed.
Engagement featured two community information sessions, supported by information Development Victoria’s website, social media and newspaper advertising, a letterbox drop and briefings to Hobsons Bay councillors and executive.
Key issues raised by the community included:
- Concern about the impact of additional traffic on surrounding streets and street parking
- Interest in/support for multi-generational housing options
- Concern for retention of street trees, and
- Concerns regarding overshadowing
Development Victoria provided responses to these issues. Overall, there were no major concerns raised.
Read the summary engagement report here.
Following community engagement a master plan was lodged with Hobsons Bay City Council in June 2017. The master plan was approved by Council on 2 November 2017.
As the development will be delivered in three stages, with approximately 42 townhouses per stage, it will be separated within three planning permits. Development Victoria lodged the first of three planning permits with Hobsons Bay City Council in November 2017. As of November 2018, all three planning permits have been approved by Hobsons Bay City Council.
Civil construction works (roads, kerbs, drains, electrical pits) are expected to begin in December 2018, and built form construction works (the townhouses) are expected to begin in mid-2019.
Sales for the project commenced on 25th August 2018.
Visit the Alfie website to register your interest and follow the Alfie Facebook page for more information and the latest updates. Alternatively, you can contact our sales team on 03 8317 3516 or Andrea.WintersMileo@development.vic.gov.au