300—304 Mair Street, Ballarat
Generate long-term job growth in regional Victoria.
Project partnersRegional Development Victoria
Department of Premier and Cabinet
City of Ballarat
The Victorian Government is investing in the future of regional Victoria by establishing a new GovHub in the City of Ballarat.
Development Victoria is leading the delivery of the project, in partnership with Regional Development Victoria, the Department of Premier and Cabinet, and the City of Ballarat.
What is a GovHub?
GovHubs are a new way of doing business in regional Victoria, with a focus on enhancing customer service, revitalising city centres and delivering economic benefits to the local community.
The GovHub will centralise the delivery of a range of government services, making it a one-stop-shop for customers and a hub for local activity.
Ballarat GovHub will house up to 1,000 Victorian Government workers, including up to 600 public sector positions relocated from Melbourne, helping to revitalise a major part of the Ballarat CBD, generate long-term job growth, increase business confidence and private sector investment.
Population forecasts suggest that an additional 15,900 jobs need to be created over the next 15 years, and Ballarat GovHub will contribute towards achieving these goals.
The Ballarat GovHub design was led by award-winning design firm, John Wardle Architects, focusing on integration with the iconic Civic Hall site, and delivering contemporary work spaces for government employees.
500 jobs created during construction
$100m boost to economy
1,000 victorian government employees
The GovHub design includes:
- A glass conservatory between the Civic Hall and the GovHub, creating a strong public link between Civic Hall and the new building
- A reconstructed lower hall — to be used as a shared space for a cafe/bar, gallery or live music venue
- A civic plaza on Mair Street and a central plaza that will connect the GovHub, Civic Hall and the library
- Ground floor spaces for the community to access Victorian Government services
- Five storeys of office space with large windows to the north and south
- Basement carparking and end-of-trip facilities to encourage walking and cycling
- Strong pedestrian links to the Ballarat CBD and Ballarat train station
Located on the Civic Hall site in Ballarat’s CBD at 300—304 Mair Street, Ballarat.
GovHub is a short walking distance from Ballarat train station, and offers close connections to Armstrong Street's many retail outlets, cafes and restaurants.
Was this page helpful?
- October: Architects appointed
- October/November: Concept designs developed
- December: Community design launch and opportunity to provide feedback on concept designs
- Late December: Planning application to be submitted
- October: Announcement of D&C contractor
- January 2019: Construction commenced
- February 2021: Construction complete
- April 2021: Anticipated move-in date