Officer town centre, Victoria
Housing affordability, Jobs creation, Economic growth
Officer is named after timber industry established in the area. By 1870 timber was being transported from the railways sidings, named Officer's Wood Siding. This was shortened to Officer's and later, Officer.
The redeveloped Officer Town Centre will provide a range of shops, services and housing for the local community.
The foundations of the town centre have been established, with work to-date focusing on large infrastructure items including a rail underpass, key road connections and a large stormwater tank to facilitate private sector investment into the area.
The supply of affordable housing in the town centre is central to Development Victoria's aim of creating diverse communities located close to public transport, schools, jobs and amenities.
Development Victoria is also a major landowner in the Officer South Precinct, working closely with the Victorian Planning Authority on the development of the Precinct Structure Plan to provide for an integrated community.
Objectives for the project include:
- Housing affordability — the project team are planning and designing affordable housing within 500m of the train station and the future town centre, along with primary and secondary schools
- Plan Melbourne refresh — create jobs close to where people live
- Deliver outcomes that drive economic activity in the town centre and wider Officer area
150ha project area
400,000 trees planted
OutcomesInnovation and awards
Gum Scrub Creek won the land management category at the 2014 Australian Institute of Landscape Architects Victorian awards.
The creek has been transformed from an agricultural drain into a recreational and environmental asset for the local community, promoting biodiversity and creating habitat for native flora and fauna.
More than 400,000 trees grown from locally collected seeds have been planted along the creek.
The project master plan includes:
- The Cardinia Shire Civic Centre
- Office and retail buildings
- Community facilities
- Medium and higher density residential lots
- Public parks and urban squares
Officer is located in the south-eastern growth corridor, approximately 50kms from the CBD.