421 Upper Heidelberg Road, Ivanhoe
Yarra Valley Water
Development Victoria is working with the Ivanhoe community and other stakeholders to develop the Yarra Valley Water tank site.
This development will provide new housing and open space within an activity centre and major employment hub, including diverse housing options to meet the needs of the local community.
After two phases of community engagement, the site was rezoned via the Government Land Standing Advisory Committee.
Following the rezoning, Yarra Valley Water and Development Victoria are now working towards a suitable development outcome on the site and the submission of a Development Plan.
Community engagement to seek feedback on a Development Plan is scheduled to take place in 2021.
To be kept up to date on any future engagement activities please register via email: email@example.com
0.8ha Project area
The draft master plan addresses
- Appropriate set-backs, heights and density adjacent to existing properties
- Adequate underground parking accessible from Upper Heidelberg Road only
- A new and improved public open space within the development
- Alterations to the development footprint, reducing the need to remove mature trees on site
Development Victoria is actively working with the design team to develop a final master plan for the site.
In declaring the site surplus to its needs, Yarra Valley Water is required to identify an appropriate planning framework for the site.
Development Victoria is uniquely placed to facilitate the redevelopment of the site, while providing a community-friendly solution to the increased housing needs of the Ivanhoe-Heidelberg area.
Planning, engagement and design processes will be delivered simultaneously to inform the renewal of the site.
Community input will be considered for the planned public open space to ensure it meets local community needs. Considerations include:
- The area's rich neighbourhood character and type of use the public open space will best facilitate
- The design elements required for the best and safest outcome for all users
- Landscaping, plantings and the site's interface with the street
- Access and connectivity, such as the type and location of paths through the site
- The type of activation that might provide a new and improved amenity for local residents
The former Yarra Valley Water tank site is located at 421 Upper Heidelberg Road, Ivanhoe.
Who to contact about this project
For more information about the project, or to provide feedback please contact us at:
Was this page helpful?
- 2016: Phase 1 of community engagement
- 2017: Phase 2 of community engagement
- 2018: Site was rezoned via the Government Land Standing Advisory Committee
In October 2016, Development Victoria engaged with stakeholders and the community to understand their aspirations and concerns regarding development of the site.
Key themes included:
- Traffic, parking and access
- Overshadowing and overlooking
- Height and density
- Loss of trees and habitat on-site
- Need for open space
- Cumulative impacts of development in the area
The community also felt the development should aspire to:
- Reflect the area’s rich history and heritage
- Consider amenity within the development
- Provide meeting spaces and landscaped design
- Improve connectivity and accessibility with surrounding areas
- Create a sustainable community outcome
Phase 2 of community engagement was held in March 2017 with two information sessions, for discussion of the draft master plan.
The draft master plan represents an initial response to community engagement, and will continue to be developed to reflect community input and technical advice.