192 Ring Road, Mitchell Park
The project continues to be developed in stages
Ballarat West Employment Zone (BWEZ) will become the engine room for jobs and economic growth in Ballarat over the next 20 years.
The project involves the development of surplus Crown Land for industrial, wholesale, logistics, construction, commercial and residential uses, encouraging employment growth in Ballarat and the surrounding region.
BWEZ will also include a freight hub, secure infrastructure and access to road, rail and ports.
438ha project area
449 FTE jobs forecast
11 lots sold, Stage 1
3 lots sold, Stage 1B
The 2014—15 State Budget provided funding of $25.2 million and City of Ballarat provided funding of $5 million.
The Stage 1 subdivision works were completed in 2016. The subdivision included an initial release of 36ha of industrial land, construction of roads, services (including gas, recycled water and NBN) and landscaping.
With most of the land within Stage 1 sold, the State Government released an Expression of Interest (EOI) process for Stage 1B in February 2017.
Civil works for Stage 1B concluded in June 2019.
Stage 2 offers approximately 55ha of high-quality industrial land, some immediately adjacent to Ballarat Airport with the potential for direct airport access STCA.
The BWEZ Freight Hub is in an excellent location for freight and logistics enterprises, with exceptional access to road, broad gauge rail and aviation infrastructure. Its strategic location links Melbourne, regional and rural Victoria, Adelaide and the Ports of Melbourne, Geelong and Portland.
- Approximately 18 hectares of freehold land within the Freight Hub stage and adjacent to the Ballarat Intermodal Freight Hub Terminal is currently subject to negotiations with prospective purchasers. Finalisation of these negotiations is dependent on the final configuration of the Terminal.
- Approximately 6 hectares of land is set aside for the development and operation of Ballarat Intermodal Freight Hub Terminal.
Freight Hub Developer and Operator
An experienced freight hub operator is currently being sought to develop and operate the proposed Ballarat intermodal freight hub terminal.
Ballarat West Employment Zone (BWEZ) is located on the north-west fringe of Ballarat, adjacent to the Ballarat Airport, existing rail infrastructure and the Ballarat Western Link Road.
Was this page helpful?
- Ballarat West Employment Zone Geotechnical Desktop Assessment prepared by Golder Associates PDF, 1.7 mb
- Ballarat West Employment Zone Hydrogeological Review prepared by Senversa PDF, 7.9 mb
- Ballarat West Employment Zone Historical Information Review prepared by Senversa PDF, 63.8 mb
- Ballarat West Employment Zone Targeted Soil Assessment prepared by Senversa PDF, 10.9 mb
- Ballarat West Employment Zone Environmental Management Plan prepared by Biosis PDF, 8.7 mb
Updated on 04 April 2022