The Revitalising Central Dandenong initiative continues to be driven by the shared vision developed in conjunction with stakeholders prior to the project’s commencement in 2006.
Traditionally the social and economic centre of Melbourne's south east, during the 1990s and early 2000s competition from neighbouring areas for investment in retail and entertainment activities as well as amenity concerns reduced activity in central Dandenong.
Dandenong’s strategic location close to existing road and rail infrastructure provided a unique opportunity to enhance Dandenong’s role in the region.
Key aspects of the shared vision for the Revitalising Central Dandenong initiative include:
• Inviting streets that provide easy and safer pedestrian connections around the city by day and by night
• Less traffic congestion
• A direct and attractive link connecting the station precinct with the city centre
• Improved public transport
• A compact and lively shopping hub with a variety of shops and places to visit
• A vibrant market well connected to other parts of the city centre
• More people living and working in the city centre
• More opportunities for learning
• Attractive public spaces for people to relax and meet
• High quality building designs, including high standards of environmental sustainability
• A character and identity that reflects the multicultural community
• More life on the streets, colour and green across the city centre
Download the Revitalising Central Dandenong - A Shared Vision PDF, 1988.14 KB
The Revitalising Central Dandenong master plan is the 15 to 20 year framework for delivering on the shared vision.
The master plan builds upon central Dandenong's rich history and heritage as a meeting place, a market town and a centre for business, employment, living, learning and retail. The plan was informed by an extensive community consultation process in 2007.
Urban Master Plan - Summary PDF, 810.11 KB
RCD - Development Sites Guidelines Plan
RCD - Precinct Plan
The Revitalising Central Dandenong declared area includes 170 hectares of land in the heart of the Dandenong CBD. The project acquisition area consists of seven hectares.
The declared area shows where new infrastructure is to be provided and the area directly benefiting from investment. It also takes into account existing and future land use patterns and areas for redevelopment.
The Revitalising Central Dandenong declared area was declared on 26 September 2005.
Dandenong Declared Area Project Plan, 3493 KB
Dandenong Aerial Precinct Plan, 940 KB
Dandenong Declared Area Property List XLSX, 164.45 KB
Dandenong Declared Area Council Presentation PPT, 4104.5 KB