430 Blackshaws Road, Altona North
Housing, Urban renewal
Formerly the site of Altona Gate Primary School, the school was closed and the land declared surplus to requirement. It was then rezoned from Public Use to Residential Growth through the government’s fast track process.
The site provides an opportunity for Development Victoria to deliver a residential development — known as Alfie — to offer diversified housing and additional resources including increased open space for the community.
2.4ha project area
10% HomesVic Shared Equity
Shared Equity Scheme
For more information please download our Shared Equity flyer or visit the Alfie website.
- 127 townhouses, two and three storeys in height, with two to four bedrooms, including a design allowing three generations to live in one home
- The homes emphasise high-quality design, and landscaping that enhances the local environment
- Open spaces provide pedestrian access through the site to surrounding community facilities
- Off-street parking is provided for each property in accordance with Hobsons Bay Council Planning Scheme, in addition to visitor parking
- The project addresses affordable housing by offering diverse and affordable housing options
Development Victoria's vision is to be recognised as a provider of a diverse range of attainable living options.
The design of the Altona North project pushes the boundaries of traditional forms, to offer adaptability to the changing and needs of residents in the years to come.
Flexible options will be catered for through the provision of landscaped pedestrian links and a central linear park, which also provides interactive focal points for residents and the community.
The population of Hobsons Bay is growing and changing
According to Victoria in Future 2016, the population of Hobsons Bay is expected to rise to 109,442 in 2031.
The area needs a supply of new housing to meet the growing and diverse needs of the community.
Housing diversity and affordability is an issue for many Victorians.
To address affordability, the strategies this project proposes to implement are as follows:
- Approximately 10% of the total homes will be offered as part of the HomesVic Shared Equity initiative, supporting first home buyers to realise their dream of home ownership
- The majority of homes will be sold to the private market below the median house price in the suburb
LocationThe Altona North development is located at 430 Blackshaws Road, Altona North.
Was this page helpful?
- Following community engagement, a master plan was lodged with Hobsons Bay City Council
- The master plan was approved by Council on 2 November 2017
- Development Victoria lodged the first of three planning permits with Hobsons Bay City Council in November 2017
- All planning permits approved by Hobsons Bay City Council
- Sales for the project commenced August 2018
- Civil construction works (roads, kerbs, drains, electrical pits) commenced December 2018
- First stage of civil construction completed September 2019
- Townhouse construction commenced November 2019
Community engagement activities were held in May 2017, to inform the community about the proposed development works, and to ensure all potential risks to the project are understood and addressed.
The process featured two community information sessions, supported by information on Development Victoria’s website, social media and newspaper advertising, a letterbox drop and briefings to Hobsons Bay councillors and executive.
Key issues raised by the community included:
- The impact of additional traffic on surrounding streets and street parking
- Interest in/support for multi-generational housing options
- Retention of street trees
- Concerns regarding overshadowing